Alwar – Alwar, for many people is "Gateway to the historic and colorful stat of Rajasthan" and for other's it is "The Tiger Gate of Rajasthan". It is flanked by the barren hills of the Aravali range which includes deciduous forests, deep valley and lakes. Alwar has its own heritage, which goes back to the mythological legends of Mahabharata, The Hindu Epic. The city is adorned with architectural splendors and has a number of sites of archaeological importance. The forest is inhabited by many rare species of birds and animals.
Alwar, one of the oldest cities in Rajasthan, was once a part of Matsya Desh. It was here, in the city of Viratnagar, in the court of king Virata that the mighty Pandavas, heroes of the great Indian epic Mahabharata, spent the last year of their 13 years of exile. There are still exist several monuments around Alwar named after the Pandavas. The more influential Mauryan Empire overshadowed Matsya kingdom and with the passing of the years there were many more upheavals. Alwar today is a busy and growing industrial district, but full of ancient temples, medieval forts and palaces, gardens and a wildlife sanctuary.
FAMOUS TOURIST PLACES OF ALWAR
BALA QUILA (FORT)
This huge fort with its ramparts stretching 5 Km from north to south and 2.6 Km from east to west, stands 304 meters above the city and 595 meters above sea level constructed before the rise of the Mughal empire. The fort is a witness to many historical events.
VIJAY MANDIR PALACE
10 from Alwar, this is the royal residence, built by Maharaja Jai Singh in 1819. A splendid temple of Sita Ram here is visited by devotees on the occasion of Ram Navmi.
SIILISERH LAKE AND PALACE HOTEL
13 Km away, is a popular picnic spot built as a summer retreat. A magnificent royal palace and the hunting lodge, built by Maharaja Vinay Singh in 1845 for his queen Shila stands overlooking the lake which is now converted into hotel.
JAI SAMAND LAKE
37 Km, is the largest artificial lake constructed, by Maharaja Jai Singh in 1910. It is a popular picnic spot for outing and picnic.
66 Km from Alwar, is one of the oldest historical sites in Rajasthan, edict of King Ashoka the great dating back to the 3rd century. BC was found here. 37 Km away is the
SARISKA SANCTUARY AND PALACE
The 765.80 Sq. Km. thickly wooded reserve is cradled in the picturesque reserve in the valley of Aravellis. Established in 1955 it is an excellent tiger sanctuary under Project Tiger. A marvellous palace was built here by Maharaja Jai Singh in the honour of Duke of Edinburgh during his visit to the sanctuary